How to Handle Future Injury Costs

How to Handle Future Injury Costs

If you’ve been injured at the fault of another person or entity, it is possible to have long-term effects from the incident that may not present themselves immediately. For instance, your knee is hurt in a car accident and you have surgery to correct the problem. Years later, you experience new issues with your knee, like chronic pain, arthritis, and infections.

It is sometimes possible to anticipate future complications using statistics and other predictive medical data. These predictions make it easier to determine future costs related to injuries. However, determining future costs is never simple. Health insurance and medical prices vary and predictions must also account for inflation.

Who pays?

Your judgment should be paid by the defendant, given they are proved to be at-fault for the incident. Most companies, both large and small, are required by law or by their particular industry to carry liability insurance. Typically, future injury costs are paid out by the insurance company responsible for the defendant. This means that large judgments will most likely prompt the insurance company to send out its team of lawyers to fight the case. For this reason, it is wise to go with a personal injury attorney who is experienced in the field and can match the opposition’s defense.

It is important to note Illinois’ statute of limitations for personal injury cases, which is two years. If no action is taken in response to the incident within two years of the date of your injury, you will not be able to recover future losses sustained.

How much can be earned?

In the state of Illinois, for non-economic expenses such as pain and suffering, there is no limit on how much money can be earned. A judge and jury are responsible for measuring the amount of funding that should be allocated to you. Past, current, and future medical costs are more measurable than non-economic expenses, but each case is unique. It is crucial to adopt your rights within the statute of limitations so that you don’t lose out on money that is rightfully yours.

Call Chute, O’Malley, Knobloch & Turcy today at (773) 906-4063 to speak with an accomplished Illinois attorney about your personal injury case.