Illinois Auto Insurance: Liability Coverage & Requirements

Illinois Auto Insurance: Liability Coverage & Requirements

Like every other state in the U.S., Illinois has specific requirements for drivers regarding auto insurance coverage. According to Illinois law (625 ILCS 5/7-607), all motor vehicle owners are required to carry minimum amounts of auto liability insurance.

Keep reading to learn about the specific auto insurance requirements according to Illinois state law.

The Required Coverage in Illinois

You are required, by law, to carry the following minimum auto insurance coverage limits:

Liability Coverage

If you operate your vehicle negligently which results in bodily injuries to another person or property damage, liability coverage will pay for these expenses. If the accident was caused by a member of your family who lives with you or someone who was borrowing your vehicle with permission, liability coverage may also pay for these damages.

In addition, this coverage can pay for your legal representation if you are sued as a result of the collision. It is common for liability coverage to be divided into the following two separate coverages:

  • Bodily injury (BI)
    • This coverage will pay for expenses as a result of an injury or death to a pedestrian or person in another vehicle.
    • It can also provide coverage for your passengers’ injury costs if they aren’t members of your household.
    • You must carry at least $25,000 in coverage per person per accident; AND
    • $50,000 total per accident (625 ILCS5/7-203).
  • Property Damage (PD)
    • This coverage will pay for damage to another person’s vehicle or property, such as:
      • Fences
      • Buildings
      • Utility poles
      • Signs
      • Trees
    • You must carry at least $20,000 in coverage per accident (625 ILCS5/7-203).

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage (UM)

This coverage pays for your bodily injuries caused by a hit-and-run motorist or an at-fault driver who doesn’t have auto liability insurance.

You must carry the following UM coverage:

  • $25,000 per person; and
  • $50,000 per accident

Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Insurance (UIM)

This coverage pays for the difference between your UIM limits and the liability limits of the at-fault driver, if they are lower than your UIM limits (625 ILCS5/7-203). This coverage will typically be included in your policy if you purchase higher limits of UM coverage.

The Required Coverage Often Isn’t Enough

Time and time again, we see clients who have inadequate auto insurance coverage. The liability coverage is often not enough to avoid paying significant costs out-of-pocket if you are in a serious accident.

It’s worth discussing your options with an insurance agent to find out how much coverage you truly need for your personal circumstances.

If you’ve been involved in an injury-sustaining accident through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to compensation. Our attorneys are highly skilled in the area of car accident personal injury law and have helped many others just like you. Let us see if we can help you, too. Contact us right away with any questions you may have.

Call the Naperville lawyers at Chute, O’Malley, Knobloch & Turcy, LLC today at (773) 906-4063 to speak with an attorney about your case.